First Circular (Updated on 30 July 2019)
Third International Conference
Organized by theSociety of Consulting Architectural and Engineering Firms (SCAEF), Kathmandu, Nepal
In celebration of 29th Anniversary of the SCAEF
18-20 November 2019
Resilient Infrastructure for Better Tomorrow
The Society of Consulting Architectural and Engineering Firms (SCAEF)is organizing an International Conference on the title Resilient Infrastructure for Better Tomorrowjointly with the Government of Nepal and other partner institutions with an objective of boosting Nepal’s economy towards prosperity through the development of resilient and sustainable infrastructures. This Third International Conference organized by the SCAEF is founded on its experience of successful hosting of First International Conference in 1998 (on titleConsultancy in the New Millennium) and Second International Conference in 2009 (on titleMaking Globalization: Role of Consultant). This third international conference relates to broad arena of resilient infrastructural development in the context of Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change adaptation initiatives inclusive of relevantaspects of the engineering and consulting profession. sharing knowledge and experiencebetween its member firms and international delegates, this conference is expectedto be instrumental to provide valuable feedbacks to the government, political leaders, policy makers and multitude of project actors and stakeholders in the infrastructural development for resilient nation building.
The international conference provides a forum for building effective networking and fostering cooperation with international societies like earlier TCDPAP, country societies of consulting firmsand Asia-Pacific community (FIDIC/ASPAC) of The International Federation of Consulting Engineers (Fédération Internationaledes Ingénieurs-Conseils, FIDIC).The conference also aims to develop a platform for Nepalese consulting firms to seek opportunities in international consulting market through business networking with international firms, partner organizations in ASPAC region, FIDIC members, International Financing Institutions and friendly countries.
The conference is also intends to introduce international firms on the business environment in Nepal. At a time when the government is seeking more investments in infrastructure sector, the gap in technical knowledge and experiences between the Nepalese and international consultants must be minimized by creating an enabling environment for sharing of knowledge. Therefore, to initiate dialogue between international partners, Nepalese consulting sector and government bodies for creating an enabling environment, this conferencewill also deliberate an outlook of the business environment in the country and henceforth initiate reforms and changes required for attracting international investments and business opportunities to international firms..
The upcoming Third International Conference is being held on the opportune moment of the 29th Anniversary of the SCAEF from 18 to 20 November 2019. The conference will be hosted in the capital city Kathmandu which will be followed by optional field excursions to nearby projects outside Kathmandu Valley.
Conference Venue: The conference will be organized at Hotel Raddison in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Themes and Sub Themes
The title of the conference Enhancing Capacity of Project Stakeholdersfor Resilient Infrastructure Development.
The Themes and Sub-Themes include the following
1.Investment Needs in Resilient Infrastructure
- Resilient Infrastructure for Post 2015 Reconstruction in Nepal
- Challenges and Opportunities in Resilient Infrastructures
- Investment Potentials in Resilient Infrastructures
- International Best Practices and Cases in Resilient Infrastructure Design and Development Infrastructure for Resilient Cities
2.Indigenous and Innovative Technologies
- Knowledge Sharing for Resilient Infrastructure Development
- Conservation of Indigenous Knowledge and skill
- Promotion of Green and Innovative Technologies
3.Challenges in Infrastructure Development Sector in Nepal
- Overcoming Development Hurdles in Post State Reconstruction
- Enhancement of Project Performance
- Enhancement of Performance of Project Stakeholders (Client, Consultant, Contractor and Community
- Improvement in Governance of Infrastructure
- Capacity Building of Stakeholders for Resilient Infrastructures
- Capacity Enhancement of Local Governments in Handling of Construction/ Consulting Practice
- Empowerment of Engineering and Professional Societies
- Enhancement of Best Practices in the Consulting Services
- Improvement of Business Relationship between National and International Consulting Firms
Depending on receipt of abstracts, the sub-themes may need adjustment to fit to the available papers.
Abstract of all the accepted papers will be published in a pre-conference Abstract Volume and distributed to the participants along with detail conference programin a conference kit during the registration. All full papers presented in the conference will be peer-reviewed and published in the Conference Proceeding.
Call for Papers
All the participants of the conference willing to present their papers (oral presentation or through posters) are kindly requested to send the abstract of their paper in the prescribed template format. The accepted abstracts will be published in the pre-conference Abstract Volume.
The template format for paperswill be available for download from the website www.scaef.org.np/conference 2019 of the conference.
There will be afield excursion to project sites outside Kathmandu. Depending on the number of interested international participants, the field excursion will be arranged to one or both of the two potential sites: Trishuli 3A Hydroelectric Project(one night) or Upper TamakoshiHydroelectric Project (two nights). Minimum number of international participants shall not be less than 10 for each of the excursions. The field excursions will provide opportunity to get familiarized with the physical, touristic, disaster-prone areas and socio-economic profile of the country apart from the resilient infrastructure development perspective.
Means of transport and lodging in local hotels will be determined after pre-registration.The cost for the excursion will be determined on actual expenses basis and shall be in the range of USD 200 to USD 300 depending on excursion site.The details of the field excursion will be given in Second Circular and an Excursion Leaflet will be provided in the welcome kit.
Accommodation in Kathmandu is available in good five star Hotels to budget non-star hotels. The room rents vary from USD 300 to USD 10 per night. However, as November is the tourist season we advise prospective participants to book the rooms in advance. Hotel room will be booked by the organizers only on formal request and advance payment of at least two days. A list of hotels with their Name, Address, Phone no., Fax, E-mail, Location and charges for single and double occupancy will be given in Second Circular. Participants wishing to book the hotel room by themselves may do it and inform the organizers in advance so that pick up facilities from and to the airport can be arranged.
The weather of Kathmandu during the month of November remains pleasant to slightly cool between 6oC to 23oC. It is advised to have warm woolen clothes that may be required at night and early in the morning.
Passport and Visa
All foreigners must have valid passport and visa to enter into Nepal. Delegates/ participants are advised to contact the Nepalese Embassy or Consulate to get visa for entering into Nepal. Tourist visa for 30 days is available on arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport. Indian nationals should possess a valid passport but do not require VISA.
US Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Sterling Pound, Euro, Australian Dollar, Japanese Yen, Singapore Dollar, Indian Rupee and Chinese Yuan can be exchanged in the banks, star hotels and authorized money changers. The present exchange rate of USD1 is equivalent to about NPR 112.00. (Please check https://www.nrb.org.np/fxmexchangerate.php for updated international exchange rates).
- Call for Abstract in SCAEF Website: 15June 2019
- Submission of Interest for paper writing : 31 August 2019
- Submission of Abstracts: 15th September 2019
- Issue of Second Circular: 20th September 2019
- Submission of Full Papers: 31st Oct. 2019
- Pre-Registration (with early bird discount of 20%): 31 October 2019
- Submission of final Presentation Slides: 15 November 2019
- Third International Conference: 18-20 November 2019
- FIDIC/ASPAC Meetings and Bilateral Memorandum Ceremonies: 20-21 November 2019
- Post-Conference Excursion: 21-22 November 2019
- Publication of Conference Proceeding: 31 December 2019.
- As an option on-the-spot registration may be made at the conference venue upon payment of full fee in equivalent NPR. However, in order to avoid inconvenience to the international participants, we advise to register latest by 18 November 2019.
- Field excursion will be made either to Trishuli 3A HEP (with one-night stay) or to Upper Tamakoshi HEP (with two-night stay). The night stay will be arranged in local budget hotels in nearby townships.
- Hard copies of the Proceeding Volume will be couriered (by registered mail or courier) to all attending participants and institutions. The Proceeding Volume will also be published online on 31 December 2019.